Sunday, June 14, 2009

Hooah run!

Our post has a runner's series - once a month there is a race, and each time you participate, you accumulate points to earn a grand prize in December. It doesn't matter if you come in first, or last, the points are the same. I love it! Pictured above is Jill, the Taylors and the Maschger clan - minus Tam, she was taking the pic. Thanks Tam! I'm glad to see we're not the only crazy family who will take their kids to a race!

Well, yesterday was the 10K. I was looking forward to running it all week. At 2 in the morning, when Zachary made his nightly journey into our room, I got up to put him back in his bed, and I just about fell down because I was so dizzy! I thought it was because I stood up too quickly, but it didn't subside when I laid back down. The dizziness continued the rest of the night, and between that and Eliza, it made for a poor night of sleep. When 6am came, it was time to get up to get ready to go. Not happening. I was extremely nauseated from the room constantly spinning. I forced myself to continue to get dressed, but decided I wasn't going to run after all. I still wanted to go to the race to watch Beau run with the kids, so after watching everyone eat and trying not to throw up, we went to the start of the race. When we show up, I notice that the "thank you for participating" prize was a T-shirt. Well, that changes EVERYTHING! Of course I'm going to run, no matter what! I made myself eat a banana so I would have some sort of energy. I ran the race pushing Eliza, and finished in 49:12. Much, much slower than my last 10K, but circumstances were a bit different. If you didn't count the numerous hill in the course, the run wasn't too bad. As long as I kept looking straight ahead, I was fine. I told you that I'll do just about anything for a t-shirt.

I think my problem was a short bout of vertigo. I looked up causes of it, and according to Wikipedia, one of the causes is: "Another source of vertigo is through exposure to high levels of sound pressure, rattling the inner ear and causing a loss of balance." That explains it. Being in a house with 4 young children day in and day out is bound to have some sort of effect on the inner ear!

The run must have rattled something back into place, because by the time I got home and showered, my dizziness was minimal, and it diminished as the day wore on. Today, I'm good as new! Running is my cure for everything. Seriously, if I wake up and don't feel 100%, chances are if I go for a run, I feel much better. Endorphins are my friend.

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

email me @ bewareofswan at yahoo so that I can send you an invite to my blog. (I just don't have your email.) Thanks!
Oh! Or you can go to www.abridgetobrooklyn.com it isn't private

Lindsey said...

Um...I am seeing three kid strollers. Wow. Do you need one of those orange signs when operating those things! I feel the same way about exercise...not running necessarily. I've had a hard time running here. I get over heated too fast.

PS Free ft. Meade AC is my new favorite thing. I miss it!

Lisa Brown said...

Okay, so you may be a little crazy :). Was it really worth the t-shirt? He he! Hope you are feeling better. It sounds like you had a bought of vertigo.

Anonymous said...

are you sure your not just pregnant?

Anonymous said...

NOT PREGNANT!