Monday, October 12, 2009

New Mexico Trip



We flew to NM to spend a couple of weeks with our family. As always, it was a lot of fun. The kids got to spend time with their cousins and grandparents.

We went to the zoo, where we saw lots of baby animals! The baby orangutan was my absolute favorite! We saw baby snow leopards, giraffes, and an elephant calf. Those were all that I can remember. There were signs everywhere alerting us to the new babies.

We spent time at Eplora! which is a great children's museum. Abi and Everett spent most of the time in the craft room with Grandma Donna, making things. The bubble area was also a bit hit. I think the adults enjoy themselves there just a much as the kids.

We woke up SUPER early one morning to go to the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, only to have it canceled because of bad weather. The sky was beautiful, with it's dark clouds handing over the mountains. We didn't let it damper our spirits. I enjoyed spending money in the Artist Tent buying jewelery, and ornaments. The kids and Beau got in a balloon basket, called a gondola, and took a virtual ride. Beau did a good job flying it. I wanted to try to go again the next day, which happened to be the day we were leaving NM. What a change a day can make! The weather was perfect. Chilly, windless air, and a cloudless blue sky. Perfect conditions for flying. Bonus: It was the Special Shapes Rodeo! We saw a Space Shuttle, 2 bees kissing, Darth Vadar, Nemo, a Fire Truck, and many, many more!! It was worth the extra trip.

We attended a High School football game, so we could see my sisters perform with the marching band. It sure brought back a lot of memories. I was in marching band all 4 years of high school, and loved every minute of it. My sisters are enjoying their time as well, and it was great to finally see them perform. I helped my sisters to get ready for Homecoming. I was very proud of them for choosing to wear modest dresses, and to have their own dance at the house. They knew what the actual dance was going to be like, and didn't want to surround themselves with that garbage. We set up one room in the house for dancing, and Beau's Dad brought over his projector, so they could watch a movie in theater-style. They had dinner at home, and my mom and their date's moms made the food, and friends helped to serve. I think they enjoyed their evening.

Beau and I enjoyed the cuisine of New Mexico. We had chile every chance we could. We brought home some green chile, and I plan to ration it. :)

My sisters have the Twilight series, so I stayed up much too late almost every night we were there, in order to finish the 4 books. I liked the series a lot. I don't think I'll read them again, but it was entertaining to read. Someone asked me the question: Who do you like, Edward or Jacob? I don't know. It's a toss up. They both have good qualities. If you were to combine them, they would be a perfect man. But, one is a vampire, and one is a werewolf, and to me, that is creepy.

Playing at Grandparents' houses was most definitely the highlight for the kids. My mom has apple trees, where the kids would grab an apple for a snack while they were playing outside in her huge backyard complete with a tire swing and cats. Beau's Dad has a trampoline, a front yard with rocks to play in, and a room full of toys. Abi was very sad to leave, and cried for the entire ride to the airport. We had a great time, and always miss our family while we're away. Come visit soon everyone!

2 comments:

Lisa Brown said...

It sounds like you had such a fantastic time!! It is hard living so far from family that you only get to visit every few years, but it sounds like you made the most of your visit. That balloon fiesta sounds so awesome!

Melanie said...

What an awesome vaacation! I would have cried all the way to the airport as well!