Thursday, December 24, 2009

聖誕節快樂!

Christmas letter 2009

Gratitude is a tough thing to hang on to. It is human nature to see what we want rather than focus on what we already have. It is especially difficult in the time and place we live. A time where we can talk to friends on the other side of the country/world while cruising at 35,000 feet above the ocean in what 100 years ago would be considered extreme luxury; yes, I speak of coach class. In a country where having two cars, internet service (high-speed of course), and game consoles seem to be necessities. So, it is good, at least once a year, to reflect on things that really matter; things that are of an eternal nature and consequence. Christmas provides us a wonderful time to do so, and we will share with you a couple of the things that really matter in our lives.

First, we have come closer as a family as we have strengthened our relationships with Christ. He prayed that “[we] may all be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us.” We are grateful that our God “so loved [us] that He gave his only begotten Son” so that we can be one with him; one in mind, one in heart, one in purpose.

Secondly, we enjoy each other. Below are some observations I’ve made about our family over the past year:

Eliza: She looks like a mix between Snow White and the Michelin Man. We enjoy taking advantage of the therapeutic value of squeezing her chunky thighs and kissing her plump cheeks. Her poop is starting to smell more like Zach’s and less like a baby’s; it never was fun changing diapers, but now it is less enjoyable; plus she squirms a lot. Fortunately we have lots of experience! It also seems as though Eliza wants to know at what audio frequency and amplitude tympanic membranes begin to rupture. Her experiments include screaming at random moments in time--especially when her mouth is fairly close to another’s ear. Her laughter seems to soothe the pain though, and may even have a healing effect. We shall see, or hear for that matter.

Zachary: He is bursting out of his caveman shell and becoming an articulate three-year-old (if one really exists). Maybe soon he will take on the civilized manner of waste disposal, but for now, he still soils himself and comes to us for clean-up. He still loves to wrestle, but has also picked up on Everett’s obsession with mixed martial arts…so I now have to protect the more delicate parts of my body when it’s play time. He keeps us smiling (and vigilant) all the time.

Everett: The smartest four-year-old boy I’ve ever met; he is learning to read, and can get through the easier books fairly well. Much to his mother’s chagrin, he has adopted his father’s fascination with the fine art of marksmanship. He will make just about anything he can find into a bow or gun; like I said, he is really smart! He ran his first 5k, and although he collapsed into his mothers arms at the end, it wasn’t because of fatigue. It was because it was freezing cold and raining outside…he has proven himself worthy of a double-barrel dart gun, which I bought him for Christmas. I love my stud and he is everything I wish I was.

Abigail: She is more like a teenager than a six-year-old. Emotionally she is like a rollercoaster ride. I just try to understand that girls don’t make sense and they really aren’t interested in stability; rather, they just like to make capricious decisions that are based on feelings vs. collected thought. One might think that this would bother me, but actually I find it interesting. Predicting how she will react to a certain request or situation has become somewhat of a game for me…very rarely do I prognosticate with any accuracy. She is a voracious reader and devours books like a bear eating spawning fish after a long winter’s hibernation. We love her and are grateful she is one of us.

Saundra: Still running… She completed two marathons this year (Air Force & Baltimore), and doesn’t seem to be satisfied with that. She still acts as the Taylor Elementary School superintendant, principal, and teacher. On top of that, she is a wonderful homemaker/mother and finds time to take care of her church responsibilities (primary presidency). Oh, and of course, she is the loveliest wife a man could possibly ask for.

Beau: Building my first .45 was a wonderful experience. I have become a fan of Wynton Marsalis, and have started pursuing the dream of one day making a trumpet sing the way he does. This pursuit of musical proficiency is a bit annoying to the rest of those who live within hearing distance, but it shall go on…

We love you all and wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

6 comments:

Haines Family said...

Thankyou Elder Maxwell, or shoul I say Beau for the equisite resucitation on the subject of Christmas and the art of gratitude. It was received magnanimously heart!

O.K. let's get to the real meat! Great card and we love you!

The Haines Family

jaredandgina said...

Hey Taylor Family,

Great Christmas letter, it is always good to be reminded of the true spirit! Sounds like you guys have had a good year!

Beau, Jared wishes you were still here, we are in need of a new bishop we know someone who would do a great job if they were here!!

Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas!

The Thelers

Jill said...

Merry Christmas! I love your post, Beau, it made a LOT more sense when I learned it was authored by you and not Saundra...ahhhh hah!

Cole and Julie said...

Once again Beau wrote a great family update! I read a book about a woman that wrote other peoples Christmas letters for them to earn extra spending money for the holidays. There's an idea for next year :o) Thank you for sharing and Merry Christmas!

Chris said...

Wonderful letter...just what I needed after finishing up being Santa's helper at 1AM. Love and miss y'all! Merry Christmas!

Lani said...

Lovely letter, and entertaining too! We're planning a "Valentine's Day Card" after Scott gets home, so stay tuned! Merry Christmas!