Beau had a week break between the Sophomore and Junior semesters. We were all excited to have a week together to relax, work, and enjoy being together without having to worry about school of any kind!
First on the agenda was participating in a 5K for the local school district. I wasn't too excited to give any more money to the school district, since they already take a hefty amount in way of taxes, and my children aren't even allowed to utilize the programs because they're home schooled. However, they allowed strollers, and it was probably the only 5K that Beau would be able to do with us. Zachary was so excited, because it was his first 5K that he was going to run on his own 2 feet. He was so cute in the weeks prior to the event, because he would put on his running clothes and shoes and run in the backyard every day to practice. It was very cold and breezy the morning of the run. Beau ran ahead with Abi, and I pushed the little girls and ran with the boys. I must admit, that I was extremely impressed with Zachary. He did fabulous! Everett was very encouraging towards Zachary, and had plenty of kind words to help him along the way. The last half mile we walked a lot more, but Zachary never gave up and had a huge smile on his face the entire time. He can't wait to run another!
After the 5K we went straight to Sea World. They were hosting a summer concert series for the kids with a different act every Saturday. The act today was going to be from the Magic Tree House. Abi, Everett, and Zachary really like listening/reading the books. While we were waiting for the show to begin, we kept ourselves busy looking at animals and riding rides.
Sariah and Eliza love the merry-go-round.
At the Jack and Annie show waiting for it to begin. Don't they look so excited??
The show wasn't as action packed as some of the others that are offered. There was no set, and it was just two people acting as Jack and Annie and singing different songs about reading. Thankfully Abi and Everett liked it.
The small aquarium had these really creepy piranha. They were just floating, waiting to attack. Ewww.
An indoor children's section was nice and air conditioned. Oh, and the kids also enjoyed playing there.
We had heard about this place, Lulu's Cafe, that offered a ginormous cinnamon roll. It wasn't too far out of the way on the way home from the zoo, so we stopped and picked one up. That is 3 pounds of cinnamon roll, folks. I wish I could say it tasted as good as it looked, but it didn't. Everyone else enjoyed it, but I wasn't too impressed with the taste.
It wouldn't be a relaxing break unless a child or two got sick. Eliza was first, and during Family Home Evening, right as Beau was beginning his lesson on faith, she vomited all over the place. I guess she didn't like that topic.
Abi and Sariah were next a couple of days later. The boys were quite proud that they didn't get sick. They said it was because boys are tough.
OK, tough guys, then get out there and work. One of Beau's chores was to paint the fence. I had to work fast to get these pics of the boys helping out, because they didn't last very long out in the heat.
In San Antonio there is an annual festival called, Fiesta. There are parades, concerts, athletic events, art exhibits, and my favorite, a band competition! I dragged my family to the band competition so I could relive my high school band nerd days. I think everyone liked it.
During some of our relaxing time at home, Zachary would entertain us with his costumes. This is Batman-Superman. A lethal combination of superheroes. I love the imagination this boy has.
No comments:
Post a Comment