We had so much fun while Beau's Dad was visiting! We took him everywhere we have visited to far. Our first day was spent relaxing, since we still had a few sick kids in the house. On Tuesday, we spent the day freezing in Washington DC. We thought it would be best to see DC before the week got too far along, because of the inauguration the following week. The battery in my camera wasn't charged, so I was unable to take pictures. Too bad. I wanted to take a picture of all the
porta potties. We saw more potties than people that day, I'm not joking! We figured they had AT LEAST 4 miles of potties. Since they hadn't been used yet, the air was filled with whatever chemical it is that they use to keep them smelling "fresh." I hate to see what they smelled like after the more than 1 million people used them on Tuesday!! PEW!!
On Wednesday, we went to the Air and Space Museum. Here are the kids "flying" a Cessna. There was hardly anyone at the museum, so it felt like we had the whole place to ourselves. It was great!

Of course, the kids suckered Dale into reading book after book every day. I don't think he realized what he was getting himself into, or else he might have told them that he couldn't read. :)

On Thursday, Beau and his Dad braved the freezing
temperatures of northern Virginia, and took the kids to Mt. Vernon. (I, however, came down with
mastitis, and stayed home and slept all day with Eliza. I had mastitis once before with
Abi, so I knew the symptoms and remedy. Having Eliza in the
moby wrap the entire day on Tuesday and Wednesday was the cause of it. Luckily, I was back on my feet by Friday. No problem.)

Dale is such a great sport! He participated in anything the kids asked him to. I don't know how many games of BINGO, and checkers he played. But when I asked
Abi what her favorite part was about having Grandpa here, she said "Playing checkers!" Zachary enjoyed having another punching bag around besides Beau.
Zachy is very physical, and is not afraid of you, no matter what your size. And you can see what Everett's favorite part was:

On Friday we went to the
Washington DC Temple Visitors Center to watch
Joseph Smith, the Prophet of the Restoration.
It's such a great film. We've seen it numerous times in Hawaii, and now here in DC. We take visiting family members who are interested in seeing it. We would have taken our picture in front of the temple, but it was -1 with the wind chill, so we thought it best to just get into the
building and back to the van as quickly as possible.
Friday night we decided to attend
Medieval Times. It was fun, as usual! I just love the jousting.
Abi dressed up as a princess, and loved the attention that all the workers gave her. I wanted a picture of Everett with his namesake, and this is how it turned out.

Of course, Eliza had no idea that her Grandpa was here. I sure was grateful, because when she cried, and Beau and I were occupied with other kids, he jumped right in and held her. I'm sure she liked the
prompt attention she
received. She probably misses that. :)

There are 2 Primary songs that sum up our visit:
It's always fun when grandpa comes, when grandpa comes, hooray! He always says the kindest things, and in the kindest way. He has a wrinkly, twinkly smile; he's happy all the day. It's always fun for everyone when grandpa comes!
(Sorry about the "wrinkly, twinkly" smile Dale, but that's the way the song goes!)
You give me a kiss. You give me a hug. You smile when you see me, too. You read me a book. You sing me a song. You whisper you love me, too. I'll try to be good; I'll do as I should. I'll whisper, "I love you too." I wish every child in the whole wide world had a grandfather just like you.
Thanks for such a great week Dad! We love you and miss you!
1 comment:
How awesome for you guys to have Beau's dad come! It looks like you all had a fantastic time (all except for the mastitis - so sorry! I have had it too and it is awful).
Post a Comment