Wednesday, April 27, 2011

First 5K of the season

One thing that I will miss about living on Ft. Meade is the Runner's Series! They have been very consistent with having 5Ks and 10Ks periodically through the year. They're inexpensive, family friendly, close to home, and on Saturdays! It's such a fun activity that we can do together as a family. Can you tell it was a cold morning? The weather had been alternating between cold and warm for several days. This morning happened to fall on a cold day. Hopefully the predicted rain will hold off until everyone is done running.

Abi finishing the race. She looks pretty tired. I would be too, if I had ran a 5K in 29:05 when I was 7 years old!

Everett wasn't too far behind finishing in 32:32! I think he had wings on his shoes. Beau said that he only stopped to walk 1 time, and that was just to get a small drink of water at the water stop.

Then it was time to cheer in our friends who participated as well. I was pleased to see so many friends from church out on such a cold morning.

I think they were ready to go home. We had to stick around for the awards ceremony. I think a couple of people in our family were going to get a medal.
Since Beau ran with Everett and pushed the other 3 kids, and Abi is confident enough to run on her own, I was able to run for time. I finished in 21:10 which was good enough for 2nd female overall, and 1st in my 30-39 age group. I think a lot of the faster women that usually win these 5Ks were sleeping in. Whatever the case, I was pleased with my time.

Abi was ecstatic to place 2nd in her 10 and under age group. She had been wanting her own medal for the longest time, and now she has one!

Such a proud moment for me to share with my daughter. Hopefully we'll have more to come in the future. As soon as the last medal was handed out, the clouds opened up and the rain began falling. Perfect timing.
Abi wore her medal all day long. She earned it!

1 comment:

Lisa Brown said...

Did you repost this? I have this strange feeling like I already read this and saw all these pictures. Am I going crazy?