Friday, October 14, 2011

Great Wolf Lodge day 2

After a restful night in our awesome hotel room, we were ready for some more water! We checked out of our room, and played for several hours. I wanted the kids nice and tired so they would sleep a while when we got on the road again. Sneaky, sneaky. :) 
 This little slide was perfect for Sariah. Eliza liked it too, but it was mainly for the littlest visitors.
 Sariah would climb up the stairs, and I would get her situated to go down, and she would push herself off. The bottom only had a few inches of water, so she wouldn't get a faceful. Over and over and over again. She couldn't get enough! Along the outside on the bottom was a black seal to prevent water from getting under the slide. The seal was breaking off in places and Sariah would happily put it in her mouth. One time I saw that she had something black in her mouth, and I thought it was part of the seal. Nope. This black thing had legs that wiggled when she smiled at me. EEEEWWW! I fished it out of her mouth instantly, and this huge black water bug went scurrying away. I guess he didn't like being in her mouth any more than I liked having him in there!
 Everyone was hungry, so we snacked on raisins. Eat raisins, not bugs, Sariah!
 The boys loved being sprayed in the face by the jets of water. Silly boys.
 This is one of the only pictures I have of Abi at the Great Wolf Lodge. She spent most of her time going on the bigger slides and playing in the bigger pools.
 Eliza just barely escaped getting a bucketful of water on her head! Nice move!

We played for about 3 hours, and everyone was dragging. We stopped for lunch at Sonic (hurray for Sonic slushes!). We drove from Kansas City, Missouri to just past Oklahoma City, OK. I usually would have a room reserved at a hotel in advance, but I decided to try Beau's approach this time. He says just drive until you feel like stopping, and then pull over to the first hotel you see. They always have room. I stopped at one hotel.....and then another......and then another. Third time's a charm. One room was available, and I paid for it, not really caring how much it cost. ($100+ for not-so-nice accommodations, but I didn't mind. We had a place to sleep!) When I mentioned my husband's method of traveling to the front desk lady, she said that will work in most places, but not on I-40 between Oklahoma City and Amarillo. The hotels are booked year round with oil drillers from out of town. She said she was lucky to have had an opening when we arrived. Good to know! In the future, I will just stick to my own method, and be prepared!

1 comment:

Lisa Brown said...

So glad you found a hotel!! That would have been awful.