Missing the babies and Everett, who was cleaning his mouth after throwing up a few times in the van. We learned right away on this trip that Everett gets carsick very easily. :(
This Visitors' Center is pretty cool, but the presentation is a bit long for the younger kids to sit through. I would say it's perfect for kids older than 6. Not to mention, they turn out the lights which is enough to send a kid into hysterics.
Just one note....the walls of the jail were made with wood, rocks, and brick for the outside. This was to prevent break outs. If an inmate tried to tunnel out, the rock would collapse, thus alerting the guard, and possibly crushing said inmate. Also, there was only one way in and out of the cell, and that is through the trapdoor. The jailer would be locked in with the inmates during his shift. I'm sure that wasn't a problem with Joseph Smith was there with his friends, since they were innocent and nice people, but I wouldn't want to be there with some of the hardened criminals that must have resided there at some point.
Next came the Independence Visitors' Center. This is NOT the Visitors' Center, it's the temple of the Community of Christ. I thought the design was interesting.
Inside the Visitors' Center there was the usual displays about the church. We bypassed them all and went straight to the kids area that was perfect for play. A pint sized covered wagon, tree, and cabin.
These two little girls wasted no time in getting re-acquainted. It was just like old times. So cute.
We had to get a picture of everyone present. I love that we were able to take a pic by the Christus.
We enjoyed a lunch outside, thankfully in the shade, since it was summer in Missouri after all! Tam was smart to bring bubbles for the kids to chase. Once they were full, and tired of the heat and chasing bubbles, we loaded our kids up, and said good-bye. Tam went back to her house, and the kids and I drove around for a while as we made our way to the Great Wolf Lodge! I was curious to see how this was going to work out with only one parent! We couldn't cancel our reservation, otherwise we would be out the $$$$ spent on the room.
We were able to begin playing right away, even though our room was not ready. That was fine by us! Abi was tall enough to go on every slide, so I said good-bye to her, and told her to check in with me once an hour. She was so excited! The indoor pool and slides were packed, so the rest of us went outside. I was glad. It was much quieter outdoors.
I wasn't sure how deep the pools got, so I made sure the boys were wearing life jackets. I wouldn't have been able to help them if I was in the deep water with them, since I had Eliza in one arm and Sariah in the other.
Turns out, they didn't need them outside, but they liked wearing them anyway.
We played for several hours, and worked up a serious appetite. Our room was finally ready, and we dined on some microwave mac and cheese, canned fruit, granola bars, and juice for dinner and some microwave popcorn with a movie. I found Princess Bride on cable for them to watch. I was so excited! That was one of my all time favorite movies as a child! The kids cabin was very cool. Abi and Everett took the bunk bed, and Zach and Eliza shared the twin bed. They loved having their own TV in there. I must admit, I did too!
That way, I could enjoy the adult (and baby) side of the room, and watch what I wanted to watch! I am always disappointed with the selection of shows on cable. I don't know why I get excited to watch TV in a hotel room. My choice this time was between infomercials, and some MTV show about teenage mothers. I chose to go to bed early.
1 comment:
How lame that there wan't anything good on for you to watch. We almost went to the Great Wolf Lodge in NC, but they changed our family retreat to somewhere else, and then canceled it. We found out that the month after we moved they ended up having on there. Oh well. Someday :).
Post a Comment