Monday, December 5, 2011

Visiting the Land of Enchantment

I told the kids that once we lived in Texas, we would visit our family in New Mexico more frequently. In October I loaded the kids up and we drove 11 hours to Los Lunas to stay with my mom. It rained quite a bit, and created the usual mud puddle in the backyard. Abi had fun playing in it. Growing up I loved playing in the mud after a good rainstorm. Like mother like daughter I suppose.  
 The kids just can't get enough of my sisters, Allison and Alexis. Sariah is instant buddies with anyone who will hold her.
                             

 I thought that Sariah looked like she could be Allison's daughter. They have the same style and color of hair.

 I invited Alexis to go to the Balloon Fiesta. We got up super early to go. After a mishap with the keys accidentally being locked in the van while it was still running, and calling a locksmith at 5:45 in the morning, we were on our way. We arrived just in time. The weather was perfect. Almost too warm for the balloons to launch.

 Even though it wasn't terribly cold, I made sure that the girls were bundled up since they were just going to be sitting in the stroller. Eliza was scared of the balloons, because they were so large, and she didn't like the sound of the burners inflating them. The way they swayed back and forth in the breeze would make her scream, "They're going to fall on me!" I guess to a 2 year-old, that's what it looked like!
 The best part of the Balloon Fiesta is the long row of food vendors with all sorts of delicious things to eat! I bought a couple of breakfast burritos for Lexy and I, and a funnel cake for the kids to share. YUMMY!!
 These cool people were walking around, and of course Abi wanted her picture taken with them.
 Future astronauts. Abi has a few more inches to grow.
 While we were visiting, Abi spent most of her spare time doing research on marine life. She put together quite the folder with pages and pages of facts. She did this all on her own, with no encouragement from me. She adores the ocean, and so learning about it is fun.
 Sariah loved that the cabinets in my mom's kitchen are not locked up like ours are at home. She enjoyed pulling out the plastic containers over and over and over again.
 We visited Beau's mom and sister, Claire and her daughter Hailey. Hailey liked taking care of Sariah and would make sure she was safe on the stairs.
 Hailey's room has so many toys for everyone to play with, although their favorite "toy" is the TV.
 Sariah was running a fever, and drooling a lot, so I thought she was teething. She eventually crashed on the couch, thanks to Grandma softly stroking her head.
 I tried to get a decent pic of everyone, but my kids weren't cooperating. Oh well. At least they're happy!
 Being read to.....yet again!
 We gathered at the church for some four-square and kick ball with grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins.
 What's a gathering without pizza??
 Baby Crue was just a week old! So glad I got to see him!
 Why is he so pouty? When it was time to pick teams for kickball, he wasn't chosen to be on Abi's team, so he stomped off to the corner to cry. He spent the rest of the time in the corner of his own volition.
 Zachary and Eliza were scared of the ball being kicked around, and people running fast, so they hid themselves by the wall.
 My sisters met us at the church so we could travel to Albuquerque for the Balloon Glow. We had never been there for the Balloon Glow, so we didn't realize how early we had to arrive to beat the crowds and see the balloons light up. We learned our lesson, and will not make the mistake again! Although we did get to see this beautiful sunset while we were waiting in traffic.
 One lonely balloon was still hanging around by the time we parked, and walked a half mile to the field.
 At least we didn't miss the fireworks! We had a great view.
 It was a late night for the kids, and they all fell asleep on the way home. Later that night, Sariah was still running a fever, and was inconsolable. During one of her screaming fits, I noticed white spots on her throat. The next morning, I located an urgent care that was open on Sunday, and took Sariah to see the Dr.
 During the drive, she looked so sad. Once I whipped out the camera to take her picture, she would muster a smile. Turns out Sariah picked up herpangina, A.K.A. hand, foot, mouth disease. That's what happens when a toddler puts everything in their mouth! The only thing to do is give her Tylenol/Motrin to ease the fever, and this "magic mouthwash" that truly was magical. As soon as I sprayed it in her mouth, she would stop crying because the pain would be numbed.

The day before we left, we went bowling with Grandma and Grandpa, and a couple of cousins that we haven't ever spent time with before! They all had fun together.
Abi made me laugh, because one time she got a little carried away and accidentally dropped the bowling ball the wrong way. She was a good sport about it and remedied it immediately.

No comments: