Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas Eve and other adventures

Instead of taking Zachary back to the Dr. to get the stitches out, Beau opted to do it at home. Thankfully Zachary agreed. There were no tears shed by anyone in the room, and I think Beau was pleased to practice on his son. When we're in the dining room and someone is unable to hold Sariah, she sits contentedly in her swing overseeing all the activities. She makes herself known when she's had enough of sitting, and then someone will rush to pick her up. Even though she is the 5th child, she sure does get held a lot! We just want to kiss her chunky cheeks and give her thighs a squeeze.
Everett asked if we could make a gingerbread house this year. I agreed, only if I could find a kit somewhere. I don't think we'll do that again. Decorating is fun, but the best part is eating everything during and after the construction. The candy and icing included in the kit is nasty and dries as hard as cement. Next year we will just use graham crackers and homemade frosting, and I'll let the kids each pick one small bag of candy.
A friend of mine introduced me to Oreo balls several years. They are much to delicious to have in the house all the time, but I decided to finally make some. I was even nice enough to share with my family. They're super easy: crush up 1 package of Oreo's, mix with 1 package cream cheese. Roll into balls; freeze. Then dip in melted chocolate. Freeze again, and then EAT EAT EAT!! Eliza loved them. She shoved almost the entire ball into her mouth.
On Christmas Eve we read the story of the First Nativity from the Bible, and then we acted it out. Beau was nominated to be the donkey, and did a fantastic job giving Mary a ride into Bethlehem. Joseph asked the innkeeper for a room, and would you believe he told him to go to his stable? Sariah was chosen to be baby Jesus.
The kids had to play double parts and fill in for the shepherds. Everett volunteered to be the sheep. I made my theatrical debut as the angel bringing tidings of great joy. The shepherds made their way to see the baby in the laundry basket. I mean manger.
The Wise Men traveled far, and brought their gifts. By this point, the baby had had enough and wanted out. Merry Christmas!

No comments: